Thursday, February 4, 2010

Cleaning Bathrooms to the Glory of God

I feel like I need to learn how to do the things I really don't enjoy doing to the glory of God. Colossians 3:23 says "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men," and 1 Corinthians 10:31 says "whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

It's fairly easy for me to think about doing things I enjoy as acts of worship - a walk outside on a beautiful day, playing with my daughter, or even making dinner since I enjoy cooking. But it's so much harder to do things like cleaning bathrooms (or any part of my house for that matter) and doing laundry, and to think of them as acts of worship. I find it hard to do something I dread and just do because it has to be done to the glory of God.

Right before Paul tells the Colossians to "work heartily, as for the Lord," he is talking to slaves, and telling them to obey their masters and work with sincerity of heart. I seriously doubt that the slaves were enjoying being slaves, or finding it easy to praise God for their circumstances. Yet, this is who Paul tells to work as for the Lord. Cleaning my bathrooms is really nothing compared to being a slave, right? So, why is it so hard?

I suppose that's where Jesus, grace, and not just muscling through things on my own comes in. I need a redeemed heart in cleaning my house. I don't expect Jesus to make me love cleaning my house, but I can pray for a heart that cleans as if I was cleaning for Jesus. And one that sees the chores and mundane tasks of my life as things that serve the Lord through serving my husband and the people we invite into our home.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the encouragement- much needed! Your worshiping just in writing this blog :) 1 Thessalonians 5:11.

    ReplyDelete